Baby bottles used to be made exclusively from glass material. As time goes by, the material is increasingly deemed heavy and prone to shatter. That is how plastic bottles are made available as the lighter and break-proof alternative, thus making the glass ones becoming rarer. Still, some parents may wonder, are glass baby bottles better than plastic?
What are the benefits and drawbacks of choosing glass material over the other? Continue reading below to find out the answers.
Are Glass Baby Bottles Better Than Plastic?
While plastic bottles offer a lot of benefits on their own, some parents are reluctant to use them due to the potential contained BPA (bisphenol A)—infamous substances in plastic that have been avoided for such an extended time. This chemical can seep into food and drinks. Thus more and more plastic goods are manufactured to be labeled as BPA-free to rest-assuring parents who wonder are plastic baby bottles safe.
Opting for glass material over plastic for baby bottles eliminates the worry regarding the potentially damaging chemicals that leach into the milk. Naturally, glass is toxic-free. It also doesn’t trap bacteria and dirt, a possible scenario when parents are using a plastic bottle.
Pros and Cons of Glass Baby Bottles
Below you can read an extensive list of the benefits and drawbacks of using glass baby bottles:
- Glass doesn’t contain any chemicals that potentially exist in plastics, even though most modern plastic goods are free from the possibility of damaging chemicals.
- Glass is easier and more hygienic to clean. It also won’t scratch easily, meaning it can remain smooth for a long time.
- Glass doesn’t decline in quality like plastics. The best glass baby bottle products require simple washing with brushes and detergents and sterilization from time to time.
- Glass is more environmentally friendly than plastics as it can be more readily and easily recycled.
- Glass can manage extreme temperatures well, from being exposed to the heat of the baby milk to being stored inside the freezer.
- Glass breaks more easily than plastic. This is a clear disadvantage, but parents may wonder if glass baby bottles break these days easily. It has to be noted that modern glass goods are made from tempered glasses, which have a quality that is less prone to break and shatters into less sharp and more rounded pieces compared to old ones.
- Glass requires more delicate maintenance. Still related to the previous point, choosing glass baby bottles means that parents have to put up with more careful procedures in cleaning, washing, and sterilizing them.
- Glass is heavier than plastic which makes it slightly less practical than the other to bring outside as it can make the baby bag heavier.
- The glass should be exposed gradually to extreme temperatures to make it able to handle them well. It is recommended to avoid pouring liquid with a great temperature difference to the bottle because it can cause the bottle to crack.
- Glass can stain, but this is less of an issue if the bottle is exclusively used for baby milk instead of other liquid such as smoothies or juices.
- Glass is more expensive than plastic. However, in the long run, as glass bottles do not need replacement as often as plastic ones, they can be more cost-effective in comparison.
In the end, even though parents have dig into whether glass baby bottles are better than plastic, the answer ultimately depends on the family’s needs and preferences. For example, if you’d like a dishwasher-safe bottle and don’t mind holding the bottle to feed your baby most of the time, then a glass bottle can be a great option to choose.